If your oven can’t fit a turkey, we suggest our Crispy Baked BBQ Chicken Legs recipe. For this recipe, we are using the Kimlan BBQ Sauce.
3 chicken legs
5 dried mushrooms
Some green onion, ginger, salt
3 tbsp Kimlan BBQ Sauce (Hot)
2 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
2 tsp Black pepper powder
50ml honey water
- Wash the chicken legs then dry the excess water with paper towel. Set aside in large bowl.
- Coat the chicken leg with salt on the front and back then massage the chicken legs for about 5 minutes.
- To prepare the marinade, mix together the Kimlan BBQ Sauce, pepper, allspice, ginger and onion. Set aside.
- With a resealable food bag, put in the chicken legs and pour in the marinade from the previous step. Evenly spread out the chicken legs inside the resealable food bag so that the marinade can evenly coat the chicken legs. Lay flat and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Soak the dry shitake mushrooms. Remove the stem then cut into slices.
- Remove chicken legs from fridge once the chicken legs have been marinated for at least 8 hours. Preheat the oven at 200°. Spread the mushrooms on the bottom of the baking tray then set the marinated chicken legs on top with the skin side facing up. Apply some of the marinade then another layer of cooking oil (or butter) on the chicken leg skin.
- Bake the chicken legs for about 45 minutes. Remove the chicken legs from the oven after 20 minutes to brush on a thin layer of honey water. Put the chicken legs back in the oven and turn the heat to about 230° or change the bake setting to broil for the last 10 minutes.
- With the chicken legs, we recommend roasting vegetables such as corn, potatoes, zucchinis, etc. but you can always try other vegetables as well. Bake the chicken legs on top of the mushrooms so that the chicken legs have an added layer of the aroma from the mushrooms.
- By brushing on some honey water during baking, it will add a bit of a sweet taste to the skin as well as enhance the colour of the chicken. You can always opt to brush on a layer every 15 minutes.
- By baking the chicken legs at a higher temperature in the last 10 minutes and brushing on a layer of oil/butter you get a crisper skin.